Hoekje & Bigelow to Close
When students move out of Hoekje and Bigelow Halls at the end of the Spring semester, the doors will close for good. Both residence halls were built to accommodate a growing campus population, Hoekje was constructed in 1959 and named for John C. Hoekje and Bigelow Hall was constructed in 1961, named for Howard E. Bigelow.
John C. Hoekje came to Western in 1916 as an instructor. He was appointed Registrar in 1921 and Dean of Admissions in 1945. He retired in 1955. He also directed the Extension programs for 30 years from 1917 to 1947.
Howard F. Bigelow taught economics at Western from 1924 until his death in 1961.
Since construction, both buildings have served as student housing, first known as dormitories and later residence halls—the walls of both buildings will be coming down, eventually, to make way for new and improved student housing.
But the stories and memories that were created in those walls don't have to go anywhere. Share your photos and memories of life at Hoekje and Bigelow with us, by clicking here.
To read more, please follow the link below:
KALAMAZOO GAZETTE— CLOSING HOEKJE AND BIGELOW HALLS BEGINS WMU MASTER PLAN TO RENOVATE ALL HOUSING AND DINING FACILITIES
The above photo was taken for the 1961 Brown & Gold Yearbook.