Ways to Give
There are many ways to make your gift to Western Michigan University. We are dedicated to helping you find the gift method that will help you achieve your philanthropic goals.
- Gifts of cash via check, credit card, or wire transfer
- Gifts of appreciated securities including stocks, mutual funds, and bonds
- Gifts of real property including land, residences, and commercial property
- Gifts-in-kind including artwork, books, or collectibles
All gifts to Western Michigan University Foundation are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. You should consult your tax advisor or applicable federal and state income tax instructions.
Many employers support their employee’s philanthropic interests, which can double or triple the impact of your gift. Please check with your employer’s human resources office.
Pledges enable a donor to make a gift and pay it over time.
- May be made in the form of cash, securities, credit card charges or other types of assets
- May be paid over a period of up to five years in annual, semiannual or quarterly installments
Planned Gifts are arrangements that have specific tax advantages to the donor.
- Bequests: name Western Michigan University as a beneficiary in your will or living trust
- Beneficiary Designations: name Western Michigan University as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, life insurance or insurance annuity asset
For more information, please contact Jennifer Callahan at email@example.com
or (269) 350-1280.
Life-income gifts make it possible to support Western Michigan University and also provide income to you or others at the same time. To establish a life-income gift a donor irrevocably transfers an asset to the university. Periodic payments are made to the donor for life or for a period of years. The assets are ultimately distributed to the campus to be used for the donor’s stated purpose.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: provide fixed, partially tax free payments to the donor
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: provide income to the beneficiaries for life or for a set number of years
Endowments are funds invested and maintained in perpetuity by the Western Michigan University Foundation.
- The fund’s annual investment income is used to support the purpose the donor specifies
- Invested to generate growth of principal and a growing payout stream to ensure that future funding for endowment-supported activities can be maintained
- Provide a lasting tribute to a named individual, family or group
- Create a highly visible link between the honoree and Western Michigan University
- Enable donors to build strong ties with the beneficiaries of their endowment and share in the achievements made possible by their gift
Special tax rules on Gifts to Athletics
For federal income tax purposes, a charitable contribution is generally allowed for amounts contributed in excess of the fair market value of any benefits received. However, certain limitations apply and special rules are applicable to contributions that entitle the contributor to purchase tickets to athletic events. All contributions to the Make Gary Athletic Fund and/or to the WMU Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (for any purpose) are subject to these special rules. Please consult your tax advisor as to the proper treatment of your contributions.
For more information, please contact the Office of Development & Alumni Relations at 269.387.8700.